Thursday, 22 September 2016

The one with... giving birth experience to baby #3 :)

Its day 14  17  18  20  22  24  25  34  35   37 (LOL, yes, that many start-stop-start-stop in drafting this entry! :P) after I gave birth to my 3rd K and finally I have some time to spare to write about (and actually complete) his birthing story. If you have read my previous 2 entries about giving birth to the 1st K in 2010 and 2nd K in 2012, then yes,  you can pretty much expect the same thing – yup it’s gonna be loonnnng winded and all word-y so you’ve been warned ! :)

The EDD was supposed to be 19 August 2016 (that’s when I’ll be in week 40 of pregnancy) but because Khayr and Kazim were both born in week 37 and 38 respectively, in my mind I was already expecting that Kafeel will be delivered around the same time. Well actually, I was secretly hoping that Kafeel can share the same birth date as mine – 6 August :)

False alarm
Towards end of July, I’ve started experiencing Braxton Hicks every now and then. Because this pregnancy is a 4 year gap with the previous one, I somewhat confused with the sign. Lupa sudah perasaan sakit contraction tu. Was it Braxton Hicks kind of contraction or was it THE contraction that I was experiencing? But taking the advice from my lovely gynae – you WILL know when THE contraction happened. Fine. So life continued as normal.

And then came that wee hour of 3am on 25 July 2016, I was awaken by this strong, painful feeling of contraction. I was confused, because that was too early – I was still in my week 36. I was thinking hey labour cannot be starting already, it’s still too early! (although in actual fact, it CAN happen heh). 

I sat down at the corner of my bed and waited. The pain kept on coming back and I cannot continued with my sleep. Husband was downstairs staying up to finish some work and I was still too confused to go and alert him. So I waited. And waited. No other signs like water bag leakage or blood show but I kept on having to go to toilet - every visit to the loo I kept producing loose stools. And from quick google, apparently diarrhea can be one of the signs that you are about to be in labour.  Oh no, seriously??! – the denial me still cannot believe that labour was about to start. Becauseeee it’s too early, I still haven’t finished with work (SUPER BUSY!!) and husband had to go to work and we haven’t figured out with kids arrangement eh banyak lah benda tak ready kesimpulannya. Andddd as always (eceh macam la always pregnant kan) hospital bag tak berapa ready jugak. Heeeeeee ;)

So while waiting to monitor whether the pain will at one point stopped or not, I quickly got the hospital bag ready and the bag to bring to my mom’s house ready (for confinement). Masuk azan Subuh, husband came upstairs to our room and was surprised to find me wide awake. I told him what happened and he said let’s get myself checked. Informed mother-in-law and she came to help to look after the kids.

By 7am or so we were already at the Gleneagles hospital and went straight to the labour room. They monitored my contraction and yes although they agreed that contraction existed (reading went up to even 70 ~ 100, a number you’ll see in an established labour) but the time interval is still far apart, baby has not engaged yet, no dilation, water bag still remained intact, and baby’s heart beat and movement still ok – so they concluded that I had food poisoning. Apparently the tummy pain from food poisoning can triggered contraction. 

CTG at 8 am in the morning
Part of hubs preparation for the labour - to ensure my nails are super short due to previous experience of being scratched till bleed :D

I was admitted for one night for observation and discharged the next day. Phew.

Waiting game
I got some medicines to ensure that my food poisoning was treated and was given a 1-week of MC to rest because somehow the contractions didn’t go away – they still happen every now and then but the intensity was still irregular. My gynae said perhaps because of the 4 year gap with the previous pregnancy, my body was taking some time to prep for labour as if it is the first time. Hence the mild contraction that started early. Hmmm.

From then on despite being worried about work, feeling guilty towards colleagues (for being away earlier than expected), experiencing contractions every now and then and playing the waiting game, I somehow enjoyed my rest days so much. Spent time doing house chores, fulfilling my food cravings, attending open houses (it was still Raya time :)), pampering myself (facial, mani-pedi, and hair treatment ♥), spending time with family especially with Khayr and Kazim, and a lottttt of ME time. I also get to celebrate my birthday with my 3Ks, by choosing what I wanted - Rakuzen and Dip'n'Dip nyams! Indeed, there’s always blessings in disguise :) I think this is the most enjoyable pregnancy ever – well thanks to the rest days granted, of course.

Makan2 at Dayana's together with Alin and Tina
My simple, yet enjoyable birthday do with 3Ks
Sempat witnessing Kazim's first school excursion by bus 
Sushi selagi sempat. Thank you suami for always layaning me! Third time being pregnant but he's still treating me as if it was our first 
Me time. After sending Kazim to school, went for a breakfast alone at Starbucks having my fav green tea latte and cranberry chicken sandwich, followed with hair treatment sesh and a quite time at the mall. Major love!
Shell out!
Yanie's open house and visiting her super cute twin girls 
Oya's house warming
Kazim's kindermate's open house
Abby's open house

Just me and the kids spending one of our Fridays after school at our favourite quite place - Publika's Marmalade and later on letting the kids channeling out their energy at the play land.

Waiting game went strong
Follow ups after follow ups, almost 3 weeks of rest days passed by without any signs of labour except that mild, not so frequent, contractions -___-‘ (bye bye 6 August – baby not sharing same birth date with me nampaknya). Yeay to moreeeeee ME time, Nay to the waiting game.

Everyone kept on asking “have you given birth yet?”. Well my husband and I, we ourselves also woke up every morning wondering “is it today?”.

Gynae expressed her worry about the size of my baby. She said it’s gonna be a big baby for the petite me – well of course there’s that plus minus of 500gram. I was worried too, coz I was reallllllly hoping for a normal delivery again this time. But at the same time I did not want to be induced. Cukup lah the painful experience of being induced masa deliver kan Khayr dulu. Tapiiii gynae asked us to consider our options – i.e. to be induced or wait for the nature to take its course (which means I can go overdue - baby might be of big size - slim chance for normal delivery). Although we were sure with our decision of the latter, we somehow booked the labour room for 8.8.2016 (konon nak nombor cun hehe) but on the night before 8.8.2016, we called the labour room to tell that we changed our mind. Hihi. So bye bye 8 August too.

Week 39
We had another follow up check up on 11 August 2016 – the day I entered week 39 of pregnancy. Again, no signs of labour. Baby not even engaged yet. He’s in a head down position, but his face was still facing up. Because I did not want to be induced, gynae did this thing called ‘membrane sweep’ to prep my body for labour on my own.

It’s slightly painful, but bearable, just like another VE (vaginal examination) procedure. Gynae said it should worked within 48 hours (normally), but if it’s not, she asked us to come again on Monday (15 August 2016) for another round of membrane sweep procedure. At the same time, we have decided to give birth on 16 August 16 (another cun date kononnye hehe) should nothing happened after the second time of membrane sweep procedure. Well, induced pun induced lah, asalkan dapat go through a normal labour, gitu.

Came 15 August 2016, yups, no signs so another round of membrane sweep it was. Ouch!

In my mind I knew whatever it is, with signs or not, I was to give birth the next day already. So after the check up, hubs went to settle his work while I drove to KLCC with two objectives in mind – nak carik present for Khayr & Kazim, from their baby brother anddddd to fulfill my craving for sashimi! Hehe.
Called Tina to accompany me for the so-called final sushi sesh before 44 days of confinement started! Thanks Tina for always being there! 
Sepanjang kat KLCC, strong but bearable contractions kept on coming. I tried to ignore because gynae told me I should be expecting to experience some sort of tummy cramp after the membrane sweep procedure. Buuuuut when I was about to make my move back, I had a blood show!

The conversation I had with Tina right after I discovered I had blood show. Heh ye, tiba2 teringin that Boost's watermelon lychee drink. Sempattttt :D

Again, I was not sure whether was it because of the membrane sweep orrrr it’s THE sign. Called the labour room, they told me to come and get myself checked. But I was like, hmmm, takpe lah, tahan dulu lah. Nak balik rumah dulu. So off I went back home.

Late evening, I started to experience more intense contractions accompanied with few blood shows. So I told my husband to get myself checked that night. We went to my mom’s house first to set up my ‘confinement nest’, left our kids there, and off we went to Gleneagles. I still remember, it was already 9.30pm or so masa tu.

Sebak! sobs...
Sampai labour room, the midwife on call monitored my progress. She said it was quite strong contractions I was having buttttttt baby was not engaged (whatttt??!) so she said just stayed on alang2 besok pagi nya memang nak kena induce kan. Plus I was already 3-4cm dilated. Tapiiiii I did not want to stay in the hospital. I told them that I wanted to go back home and spent my ‘final’ night with my kids. I’ll be coming back in the morning anyway. The midwife called my gynae and my gynae gave her OK for me to go back home. She said when I come in the morning, no need to be induced just need to break my waterbag to kick start the labour.

So off we went back home. Although it was already midnight time and that kids have slept, hubs had this crazy idea of pulling over to the mcD drive through for some fries with ice-cream sesh. Glad we did that coz the mango sundae was super nyummy! It was my third time having that dish in the same week :)

So finally its 16 August 2016. Reached Gleneagles at about 9.30am. I had no mood for breakfast because of the pain from contraction but hubs offered to buy something from Starbucks so off he went after I settled down at the labour room. During his absence, gynae came to check on me. I was still 3 - 4cm dilated apparently but baby was still not engaged.

*Oh forgot to write about the fact that during this pregnancy, apparently my water bag level was on the higher side (but I had no diabetes) making it difficult for baby to get engaged sebab dia syiok berenang2 and floating (and so I was told). So baby was just in a head-down position (itupun lambat masa week 38 plus kot baru dia head down – all along he was in a breech position) AND his face was facing up (what is called as OP position).

So that morning,

Contraction ada Opening dah ada Blood show ada


Waterbag belum pecah, baby belum engaged and he’s in OP position.

My gynae was clear with my birth plan of wanting a normal delivery with no epidural so she said she’ll try to go for normal first (sebab if baby in OP position normally kena go for c-sec). Scared, but I was feeling positive about it. Kept on praying that I didn't have to go for emergency c-sec half way.

So dalam pukul 10am she broke my waterbag andddddddddddddd after that zassssss sakit contraction datang bagai menggila -______-“ Sakit ya amatttttt, in fact, I can say, that was the most painful contractions I have experienced.

I went all berserk – screaming like no care for the world (how embarrassing -____-‘ but then time beranak anak yang mana yang I didn't scream kan hihi). I took the pethidine jab together with the happy gas, but of course these did not help much. Plus, I tried to be in control not to get carried away with the happy gas because I wanted to be alert of the surroundings. I wanted to be alert when baby was out, I wanted to be alert when baby was put on me, I wanted to be alert when they gave me that first mother-baby bonding sesh.

All this I learnt from the previous deliveries. Masa Khayr, with epidural I didn’t feel the pain hence I was clueless and guideless when it comes to the pushing game. Khayr eventually had to be vacuum-assisted. 

Masa Kazim pulak, ok no epidural, just the gas but I got carried away that my mind was so detached from my body that I didn’t remember what happened. I didn’t remember seeing Kazim for the first time, I didn’t remember having the first skin-to-skin contact with him, I didn’t remember him being put on my chest, etc. All I remembered was I had safely given birth and when I was 'sober' I was already in my ward room instead of the labour room.

Anyways. Coming back to the birthing story of Kafeel. 

So pecah waterbag dalam pukul 10am, the next thing I knew by 11.10am, Kafeel made his debut! Alhamdulillah… 

The most painful, yet the quickest labour I had. Although masa tu confused jugak sebab cepat sangat rasa nak teran. Menjerit2 cakap “rasa nak b*rakkkkk” Sampai nurse and midwife pun tak sangka. With 3 pushes Alhamdulillah Kafeel was out. And syukurrrrr sangat sangat sangattttt I managed to go through a vaginal delivery despite Kafeel being in the OP position. Apparently, my gynae had to do a manual rotation of Kafeel (yup, seluk dari bawah) to assist me to have a normal birth. Love you Dr Su, you are the best!! ♥♥

My friends also agreed it was so fast! Hehe. Sebab pagi tu baru je texted them telling that I was going into labour.

So Alhamdulillah, I was all alert when Kafeel was delivered. I heard him crying, I saw him being taken and put on my chest, I remember hugging him, I remember seeing hubs iqamatkan and azankan Kafeel, I remember everything that was happening around me that day. Syukur sangat. 

There goes, the birthing story of my third beautiful son, K@feel Eyhs@n


  1. so happy and honoured to be a part of your labor story lolz!
    see you this Sunday, insya Allah.

  2. yeay.. aku pun blom berjaya write down kisah labour aku. kihkihkih... aku rasa macam ada je in the middle of your labour journey. sebab asyik bukak instagram, tengok dah deliver ke blom. masa ko admit hospital tu, aku dah macam.. oh mai goddd oh mai goddd, dah nak bersalin ke. cemas order tak siap lagi. hahahaha.

  3. Syukur, Alhamdulillah. Beautiful story Lia. Muka tahan salut tepi katil paling win. I could practically feel the pain ��