Pages

Thursday, 31 March 2016

The one with... about laksa

Earlier this month, we had a makan-makan sesh at my FiL's house. It was the meet-and-greet occasion with the family of my SiL's husband-to-be. The main dish was laksa johor and it was super nyums! I don't really eat laksa johor outside, but this one is exceptional. It's the specialty dish of the family and relatives from my husband's side.

Home-made laksa johor and the condiments combo - two thumbs up from me! 👍👍

Then during the recent weekend, we chanced upon a by-the-way holiday trip to Langkawi because we were attending a relative's wedding. And one of the must-have dishes when in Langkawi apparently is this dish called laksa ikan sekoq located by the beach near the airport. 

We didn't know at first because when we landed at the Langkawi International Airport we were so hungry we just resorted to the nearest makan place we spotted. And it was that row of stalls by the beach near the airport.

My take on it - oh so divine! The kuah is pekat and nice and delicious, and it has that added oomph with the one whole fish to go with.

This was taken during our first visit.

Anddd of course I had to make my husband bring me there again for a second visit on our last day there before going to the airport hihi.

Sigh and now I teringin. Laksa from pasar malam is not the same. And I've never cooked laksa in my whole life and I'm having this mental-blocked that its such a tedious dish to make.

Speaking of laksa, ever since I was pregnant with my first child I have been 'brain-washed' by my mom and few of my friends in office who are a lil bit older (not that I'm that young la kan hehe) that after giving birth, one has to pantang from eating laksa for at least a year. And the reasons given when asked were very vague, I feel. Angin. Bisa. Sejuk. Tak Elok. and the most classic one has got to be 'Orang tua2 yang cakap'.

Anyways, I wasn't really a laksa fan then. But during my second pregnancy, after coming back to work from maternity leave the first dish I had in office was laksa. I wasn't really thinking about it and I memang completely forgotten about the pantang. And guess what, that night I had a fever and I was really shivering in pain. Wow. Creepy much.

That said, I am now a firm believer that one cannot have laksa after giving birth. Reason? Orang tua2 cakap tak elok. Heh.

So yeah, I better eat laksa puas2 now. Gotta send in the request to husband, he has been very kind in making sure that I get to eat what I want during this pregnancy albeit being the 3rd one for us ❤ 

Any suggestion on the place that serves a good laksa in KL?

6 comments:

  1. My mum said, orang dulu2 pantang makan mee,bihun,laksa sebab dia macam urat2 kan. So it resemble our vains. Sebab tu kalau makan,nanti sakit urat.

    Masa zairil,pantang main2. Rasakan macam2 sakit yang mendatang.

    Masa zarif,barulah nak pantang betul2. Back to normal adalah sekejap. Jadi marilah dengar pesanan orang-orang tua.

    P/S: please continue updates, saya mau baca. Love to read your writing like always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ehhhh what an acceptable explanation about the pantang on laksa and the likes! Thanks for enlightening me up with this new information :) And yes, not only laksa but bihun and mee also apparently kan? Huhu petua orang dulu2 sometimes ada betulnya. Anywaysss thanks for still being a reader, your comment made my day. You should continue writing too! :)

      Delete
    2. Itu explanation orang dulu2.tapi scientifically, medically ke,tak taulah apa sebabnya.mungkin bahan2 dia ke,cara penyediaan ke yang buat sakit urat? That tak tau nak explain.

      Ive once duduk betul2 depan pintu masuk rumah,lama2 even though mak dah cakap jangan. Suddenly my body went numb,cold lepas tu macam something took over my body. Tak boleh nak explain lah,macam super natural pun ada juga. Hoho,i can laugh now,not back then.scary...

      Panjangnya komen.of course i am your avid reader.one of your fan to be exact. Jadi pengajaran hari ini,dengarlah nasihat orang tua yang dah banyak makan garam.

      P/s: thanks for the encouragement to write,tapi ada macam mental block.nak tulis padia pun tak tau hoho

      Delete
  2. I pun pergi that laksa stall but I did not really enjoy it. Most probably sebab I mmg tak pandai makan laksa, hehe. My husband kata sedap je! But laksa johor is my favourite. Tengok gambar dalam entry you ni pun terus teringin, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bunga kantan adalah sejuk. Somas timun and iceberg.asam.keping is sharp. Ikam kalau bukan parang adalah bisa dan boleh gatal gatal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laksa... im a big fan of laksa. Masa 1st child azam nak jaga pantang makan setahun. Tau je pregnant, terus bantai laksa. With this 2nd one, lepas beberapa hari habis pantang, my sister msak laksa. Terus goyang iman.. kalau laksa kedai, tak berasa sangat nak pergi mencari. Tapi laksa homemade mmg buat goyah. Alhamdulilah xde apa2...

    ReplyDelete